Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Monstrous Music for a Spooktacular Soundtrack

When October rolls around, it's time to pull out the battered old CD labeled "Halloween" from wherever it's been lurking for the last eleven months. (This year it was in the CD case in my glove box. Admittedly, not actually in a CD sleeve, but hey, points for effort.)

I'm pretty sure my then-boyfriend, now-husband must have burned it for me, because it contains a few songs I'd never heard of before I met him. But my college roommate seems to have had some influence as well, since it also includes a couple of songs from the Scooby Doo (2002) soundtrack, and I never saw that movie. Since I've been listening to this particular mix for a decade now, I've become quite attached to it despite its randomness. So with no further ado, I present my own personal soundtrack to the season.

1. Monster Mash - The ultimate classic. For reasons long forgotten, this one actually appears on my CD twice.




2. The Man with the Hex - I love this song; it makes me want to dance. It also appears on several of my workout playlists.



3. Let the Bodies Hit the Floor - I love the double entendre. Massive amounts of death, or a packed dancefloor? It couldn't be more Halloween.


4. Get Ur Freak On - Bow down for Missy.


5. O Fortuna (remix) - Opera remixed with techno, perfect for Halloween clubbing.



6. Freaks Come Out at Night - It's from the Scooby Doo soundtrack. It's a cover by Uncle Kracker. Everything about it is terrible. But it's insanely catchy.



7. Transylvanian Concubine - Haunting and beautiful. I first encountered it on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV show) soundtrack.


8. Thriller - I trust this one is self-explanatory.


9. Ghostbusters Theme - I wonder how, or if, they'll work the theme into next year's reboot. I was initially against it, but the cast and crew have been so charming and funny that now I'm looking forward to it.


10. Disco Inferno - Another one to get you dancing. I'm especially into it this year after all the disco on The Martian soundtrack.


Bonus video: Lindsey Sterling - This one isn't on my CD, but if you haven't heard of Lindsey Stirling, you should check her out. She's a badass violin player who's also a cosplayer, and her videos are basically every geek's dream. The one below is Dracula, for the theme, but her Dragon Age and Lord of the Rings videos are even more amazing.


Bonus Bonus video - I can't believe I almost forgot this one! It's my husband's favorite thing ever - Dark Lord Funk.


No comments:

Post a Comment