Friday, October 2, 2015

For my mom on her birthday

Some fall baking!



Technically, I first made this in the summer, but it was so delicious I couldn't wait to make it again. With the shortbread crust and salted caramel layer, it seems like fall to me. I found the recipe here, but instead of using prepackaged caramel sauce, I made the one described here. Caramel requires paying attention, but as long as you do, it's really not hard. This sauce came out perfectly for me the first time I made it, and again every time after.





I wanted to make my mom something special for her birthday, but since it's a long drive (with stops along the way) from my house to hers, I was afraid to make something with frosting or dairy. So I made this tart a day ahead and popped it in the freezer overnight. Then in the morning I wrapped it in a towel and drove home. The chocolate went a little waxy from all the temperature changes, but otherwise it held up perfectly!



Happy birthday, Mom!

Halloween outfit #2 on Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment