Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Halloween dress


Since I don't have costumes to make for Halloween this year, I've found myself with an overabundance of time on my hands (see also: this entire blog). I miss doing Halloween things, but at the same time I don't want to go overboard with decorations and treats and crafts, because then I'll only be more disappointed when nothing materializes on the actual holiday.


I did find some super-cute Halloween fabric, though, so I decided to make a dress. It's not technically a costume, and I'll be able to wear it lots of times (although, mostly in October, I guess), so I was hoping it would help cure my need to sew, without adding to my despair about Halloween night. And this way I'll have something special to wear on Halloween, even if it's not a costume.



I was careful to follow all of the instructions, and even self-lined the bodice with more of the
"Boo" fabric. I used the pattern size that corresponds to my measurements, but unsurprisingly it still came out quite a bit too big. (Simplicity patterns contain a ridiculous amount of wearing ease; I usually go one size down from my measurements, but since this was a "vintage reproduction" pattern, I was afraid that would end up too small. Guess not.) I gave it a quick try-on before I put in the zipper, and subsequently took about 3 inches out by taking in the back seam. I also shortened the straps quite a bit.


It came out pretty well! At least, until I tried it on. While it basically fit, it was way too large in the bust, almost comically so. I tried it on with my most padded pushiest of push-up bras, and it was still nowhere near enough. Taking in a princess-seamed bust - when the back is finished and the bodice is lined - is no picnic. To do it correctly I would have to take most of the dress apart, and I... just didn't want to. So, instead, I sort of shoved the extra bust material up under the front ruffle and sewed the ruffle down. And now, it mostly fits. It's a little wonky under the arms, but I think I'm just going to live with it.

What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment